Latest news and updates
Who partners up?
November 2018: Who you fall in love with and partner with is helping drive wealth inequality according to new research by Motu Economic and Public Policy Research. Their recently released report, "Who partners up?", says educational assortative matching among couples, i.e., the phenomenon whereby the high-educated have partners who are also high-educated, is a not insignificant driver of recent changes in the distribution of household income in New Zealand.
TERNZ to lead review of Australian PBS tyres
November 2018: Dr John de Pont from TERNZ (Transport Engineering Research New Zealand) has been appointed by Australia's National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) to lead a review of their Performance-Based Standards (PBS) tyre standards and operations.
The review will identify the best practice approach for the management of tyres within the PBS scheme.
John is also currently working with the NZTA on formalising the New Zealand PBS system.
Photo: Prime Mover Magazine
Welcome to the Independent Research Association of New Zealand
IRANZ is an association of independent research organisations. IRANZ represents the collective interests of members by undertaking activities aimed at creating a positive operating environment for Independent Research Organisations in New Zealand.
IRANZ member organisations make vital contributions to a broad range of scientific fields, and offer an important complement to university-based and Crown Research Institute research. Our smaller sizes and greater flexibility provide an environment that is particularly conducive to innovation and end-user engagement.
IRANZ member organisations:
- Are ‘independent’ (non-government owned);
- Carry out high-quality scientific research, development or technology transfer;
- Have strong linkages with end-users;
- Work in a diverse range of settings and subject specialities;
- Derive a significant portion of their work from Government research contracts;
- Collaborate with universities, Crown Research Institutes and research departments of industrial organisations; and
- Having varying governance and ownership arrangements.
Find out more about IRANZ and our members by checking out our News page.