Latest news and updates
Climatic effects on river-based ecosystems
January 2019: Cawthron Institute Freshwater Ecologist Joanne Clapcott was the coauthor of a recently-published research article in Science Advances on the effect of climatic factors on river-based ecosystems.
Science Advances is an open access journal from AAAS - The American Association for the Advancement of Science, that publishes innovative original research across all disciplines of science freely and globally.
Joanne was one of 153 researchers from 40 countries that worked on the project.
Establishing new Australasian steel structure standards
January 2019: The team at HERA have developed a new procedure to select steel grades manufactured to Australian and New Zealand standards in collaboration with the University of Wilhelmshaven and the University of Sydney.
To ensure the safety of steel structures, design engineers need to select steel grades that will remain ductile under the imposed conditions that include in-service loadings, fabrication-induced conditions, seismic actions, and service temperatures.
Welcome to the Independent Research Association of New Zealand
IRANZ is an association of independent research organisations. IRANZ represents the collective interests of members by undertaking activities aimed at creating a positive operating environment for Independent Research Organisations in New Zealand.
IRANZ member organisations make vital contributions to a broad range of scientific fields, and offer an important complement to university-based and Crown Research Institute research. Our smaller sizes and greater flexibility provide an environment that is particularly conducive to innovation and end-user engagement.
IRANZ member organisations:
- Are ‘independent’ (non-government owned);
- Carry out high-quality scientific research, development or technology transfer;
- Have strong linkages with end-users;
- Work in a diverse range of settings and subject specialities;
- Derive a significant portion of their work from Government research contracts;
- Collaborate with universities, Crown Research Institutes and research departments of industrial organisations; and
- Having varying governance and ownership arrangements.
Find out more about IRANZ and our members by checking out our News page.